Tuesday, 19 November 2013

You're Not Alone

I'll be honest, I really didn't know what I was going to blog about today. Usually, I have some kind of rough idea of what I want to talk about but today... nadah.

I was sat on the bus thinking about it, wondering what the blazes I was going to write about when the bus stopped and I happened to glance out of the window. I didn't see anything particularly amazing- I didn't see a meteor hit the earth or anything earth shattering to report on but I saw something that's just really stuck with me: I saw a guy laughing.

Now alright, I know some of you may be looking for that little back button and wondering what's gotten into me but stay with me a sec.

The thing that really made me take notice was the fact that he had his hand on the door, clearly about to leave, but was looking back into the office- laughing at something or someone that was unseen. It made me think of when I'd left the office about ten or fifteen minutes before and done something pretty similar.

Seeing that, the familiar pattern of behaviour started to make me think of what other things everyone else had in common- of the little routines or habits that we all share that we think nothing of such as getting up in the morning and going downstairs or how we all have moments where we get angry or frustrated.

With that moment, of seeing that guy laughing as he was leaving, it hit me. We're not alone.

Now I don't mean in the ET sense, here! But I think sometimes when we're feeling particularly sad and alone, we can forget that there are others out there who have or are feeling the same way.

You know those times in school where you may have felt particularly goofy or self-conscious? I guarantee most people have been there. Or maybe those nerves on the first week of work or when you've been given a project or task to do? Yep, that's normal.

The point I'm trying to make is that matter how alone we may feel sometimes or how utterly helpless we may feel, we're not.

There are other people out there who are walking the same path, who are making the same decisions and hard choices. There are other people out there who are sitting down to work or racing out the front door in the mornings along with everybody else, who are wondering how they're going to do this or what they're going to do about that- of what they're going to have for dinner.

It's important not to get lost in the rat race but, at the same time, it's important to know that everyone is doing it together.

Image Courtesy of Google

You don't believe me? Look at Google Plus! How many writers are on here or artists or musicians? There are tonnes of people who are going through the same thought processes and looking for other people who they can connect with and relate to. Or how about concerts? A place where a load of people from different backgrounds get together to listen to a singer or a band that they have stumbled across somewhere or other and have gone through the same conscious thought of booking tickets.

All you need to do is think about rush hour traffic to see where I'm coming from here! A bunch of people all aiming for work or to drop their kids of at school all have the same pattern of behaviour, all have the same routine and whether they realise it or not, they're all doing it together.

Next time you're out and about, have a look around and think about it. You'll soon see what I mean ;)